TB-Films & Articles: They follow the brief write-up. They are in simple language and will help us to understand the reasons for the fast spreading of TB.
We forget that TB is one of the biggest killer. We seem to think that it affects only the poor, the people living in unhygienic conditions, not so healthy people, etc. But this is no longer true. It would be surprising to note that may be more than 40% of us carry the TB Bacilli !!. It is in Latent form. Ready to strike us when we are defenceless, either partly or fully. This can happen if we were to fall sick and in the process have our immunity reduced. The Latent TB erupts and becomes a disease. If it were normal TB( not drug resistant type) then one can be cured after medication for around 9 months. But if it is the MDR type then the chances of making it through is very very difficult. The authorities may say to the contrary. But I have first hand experience. Even the TB which responds to first line treatment can turn drug resistant while treatment is on through mutation. It is a dangerous situation.
What do we do? The task is enormous indeed. All of us should get educated about the reasons for the spread of TB and why and how does the TB turn Multi Drug Resistant and Extremely Drug Resistant TB. The major reason for the spread of MDR TB is because people with TB do not complete the full course. They feel they are fine and stop the medication. The bacilli left in their system ( may be 1 to 3% of the original ) mutates and turns into Drug Resistant Variety. When such a person coughs he transmits MDR TB bacilli to the persons around!!!
Important to remember : We can catch the disease in a school classroom, in a coaching class, from our drivers and others whom we come in close contact with. Shreeram, a young boy of eighteen, got the dangerous form of TB-the Drug Resistant directly and that too in the brain ( meningitis ). The bacilli were never found in his blood. There was also no delay in diagnosis. Even though he took all the medicines daily without fail and also the injections without fail he couldn’t make it. Eighteen months of taking medication ( five to seven medicines and almost daily injections ) did not help unfortunately. MDR TB medicines are deadly but even then he never ever missed a single dose. We can say confidently that MDR TB is worse than even Cancer.
The total amount spent on the treatment was just huge. Thanks to the help extended by Rotarians, some Friends, Relatives, Apeejay Schools Teachers, Dhirubai Ambani Foundation, Shroff Trust, etc, we were able to provide the best possible treatment to our son. But all this was not successful against the deadly bacilli which finally had it’s day. How many can afford such expensive treatment ? How many can withstand such nerve racking and nauseating treatment? Few can. The best solution is to prevent the spread of the dreaded disease.
Our Trust is trying to pen down every part of his treatment and what Shreeram’s family and all others around him went through during Shreeram’s sickness. Once it is ready we will upload it. By understanding the simple films and passing on the information to your servants, drivers, watchmen, etc you will be doing yoemen servive to the community.
Remember – You are safe if they are safe. Not frightening you – Think, what if your driver has MDR TB and both of you are not aware of it!!!!!
The links below provide a lot of information to help us understand TB. However please don’t try self medication and it is not the intention of our site. Please immediately visit a good doctor if you find any of the symptoms mentioned herein. The booklet we have brought out is also to make you aware of the menace of TB and to caution you of the need to visit a good doctor without delay. These articles and videos and links do not provide medical advice and are for informational purposes only. Always consult your doctor. Don’t try self-medication. Each person is different from the other person and so the same symptoms need not be a reflection of the same problem in two different persons.
TB IS NOT A DISEASE TO BE PLAYED AROUND WITH — CONSULT YOUR DOCTOR.
NEVER NEGLECT SYMPTOMS OR TRY SELF-MEDICATION.
STRICTLY FOLLOW THE REGIME PRESCRIBED BY YOUR DOCTOR. DON’T SKIP ANY COURSE.
Booklets brought out by our Trust for information on TB in layman’s language. ( English, Hindi and Marathi )
Truth About TB ( Tuberculosis) and All About TB: http://www.thetruthabouttb.org/professionals/awareness
Other Informative Articles and Films on TB:
1) Turmeric-may-help-overcome-drug-resistant-TB: https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/home/science/Turmeric-may-help-overcome-drug-resistant-TB/articleshow/51559425.cms
3)Miracle-drug-for-resistant-TB-to-be-rolled-out-for-trial- today: https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/home/science/Miracle-drug-for-resistant-TB-to-be-rolled-out-for-trial-today/articleshow/51486695.cm
5) A real story on TB by Rhea Lobo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3xfxba27Yk
6) Please visit the following youtube site for a simple educational animated film on TB: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qL9PpX25-7I
7) Learn the effects that TB has on the lungs and some important clinical clues. These videos do not provide medical advice and are for informational purposes only. The videos are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of a qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read or seen in any Khan Academy video or any other video uploaded here.
8) Series:Self-study modules on tuberculosis https://stacks.cdc.gov/view/cdc/21977
Module 1.ppt (2202112) : Self study module on TB
10) Learn which medications help prevent active TB disease : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2K1ekrZ6ej4
13) GOVERNMENT OF MAHARASHTRA PUBLIC HEALTH DEPARTMENT… arogya.maharashtra : https://arogya.maharashtra.gov.in/1035/%E0%A4%AE%E0%A5%81%E0%A4%96%E0%A5%8D%E0%A4%AF-%E0%A4%AA%E0%A5%83%E0%A4%B7%E0%A5%8D%E0%A4%A0
14) WHO Site on TB and other Health Topics http://www.who.int/en/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/tuberculosis
15) Simple explanation of Active and Latent form of TB : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qL9PpX25-7I